Asthma during Pregnancy
Asthma in pregnancy is a common problem. Women, who never had asthmatic tendencies, may also experience them for the first time. Although, there are several treatments and handy home remedies to cure it, one must take the basic precautions to prevent asthma during pregnancy.
Asthma may be a common problem to many women. In most cases, they do not know how to deal with asthma during pregnancy. Although there is no doubt that severe asthma attack can be harmful for your pregnancy, it can however be resolved with proper treatment.
Causes of asthma during pregnancy:
Asthma is a result of chronic inflammation of those airways and tubes that supply air to the lungs. It may be cause due to
- Allergic trigger for a prolonged period of time
- Smoking, that causes blockade to the airways
- Upper respiratory infection like cold or bronchitis
- Pollution and dust
- Exercise schedules or excessive exertions
- Genetic reasons
Impact of asthma during pregnancy:
- Asthma during pregnancy can take the form of shortness of breathe, difficulty in breathing, coughing and wheezing.
- If asthma is not controlled during pregnancy, then it can result in premature delivery of the baby and occasionally prenatal death of the fetus.
- The baby may be born premature, small, and underweight.
- Asthma attacks can reduce the oxygen supply to your baby and it may feel suffocated, and be under danger.
- Untreated asthma in pregnancy can result in hypertension and preeclampsia, putting the baby at risk.
- The high blood pressure caused during asthma can affect your kidney, placenta and liver
- The mother may have to go through unexpected labor pain during labor, which is pacified by induction.
Many women, who have experienced asthma before pregnancy, and are under medication, tend to terminate the medicines, as they assume them to be harmful for the fetus. They should take such actions under the consent of the doctor. In most cases, it has been found, that the adversities of asthma drugs on the baby, is several times less as compared to the asthma attack itself. Attack of asthma during pregnancy should be avoided.
However, every cloud has a silver lining, and so has asthma during pregnancy. It has been found that in most cases, asthmatic woman improves this tendency while they are pregnant. In fact pregnancy can actually cure asthmatic tendency several folds. Again, one-third of them may get worse during this period. For them, there are the following solutions:
How to prevent and treat asthma during pregnancy
Many women may fall prey to this disease all of a sudden during pregnancy, even if they never experienced it before. Therefore, the best way to avoid asthma during pregnancy, is by taking enough precautions against it
- Keep yourself away from people suffering from flu, cough, cold or other contagious infections.
- Do not use or come near to the things which you are allergic to.
- If you suffer from heart burns, eat small healthy meals, and indulge in physical activities. Do not sleep after eating.
- Stay away from smoking or even passive smoking. It can lead to asthma in both you and your baby.
- Go for a good asthma control therapy right before or in the initial stage of your pregnancy. Then abide by whatever the physician says.
Common treatments of asthma during pregnancy:
- P2 agonists are safe if inhaled. However, Systematic Beta Agonists should not be taken during the latter stage and parenteral epinephrine should be avoided in the early stages of pregnancy. They may cause complications.
- One may resort to prednisolone and methyl prednisolone, in case oral drugs or steroids are required. These substances do not reach the placenta.
Asthmatic women may undergo tremendous problems during the time of labor. This is a common part of asthma during pregnancy. However acute attacks are less likely to happen due to the production of endogenous steroid.
The following things should be kept in mind during labor:
- Although in most cases they can use the common pain relievers, they should be careful while using aspirins and NSAIDS.
- Keep using the usual asthma drugs during labor too.
- F2oc should be carefully used, as it facilitates brochoconstriction.
- PGE2 can be used for induction of labor.
- One should resort to regional blockade in case anesthesia is required.
- Oxytocin is good for labor induction.
- The doctors will go for a caesarian baby, in case things get serious.
In case you feel asthmatic and you are home, you can count on the following home remedies to treat asthma during pregnancy:
- Ginger tea can be steamed with garlic cloves and taken twice a day.
- Put some caraway seeds in boiling water and inhale the steam for sometime.
- Garlic cloves can be boiled in a quarter liter of milk and taken.
- A mixture of mustard oil and camphor oil should be heated and massaged on the chest for sometime.
- Mix few cups of lime juice, honey and radish, cook it into a fine paste and eat it every day.
- Soak some raisins in water overnight and then put them in a cup of cold milk for half an hour. Chew it.
However, these are very homely remedies that may not completely cure asthma during pregnancy. It can only be used as a handy and temporary solution. If it works, then nothing would be as good as that, as natural remedies are best remedies during pregnancy. However, there are many more effective drugs in the market that can cure asthma during pregnancy more efficiently.