Experts say that human body needs a specific amount of nutrients each day so that the inner organs of the body stay healthy and function properly. When a woman is conceiving, it is important to give more attention to pregnancy nutrients.
The food a pregnant woman eats during the gestation period is referred to pregnancy nutrients. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommend food and fruits that are rich in proteins, minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates and fats. Study reveals that woman who has not consumed necessary nutrients during her pregnancy has birth a child whose growth is not normal. Often such child weighs lower than the standard weights at birth and suffers from physical disorders.
A balanced diet is necessary for the growth and development of the child during pregnancy. At the starting few weeks when the baby is still an embryo, the chance of infection is very high. If the mother were suffering from such problems, the doctor would treat her with medications, and suggest a diet that can help in building the immune system. The baby can get all the necessary nutrients if the mother is eating foods and fruits that help in enhancing the baby’s abilities to respond like a normal child.
Along with proper diet, the pregnant woman should give away some old habits such as smoking, intake of alcohol and caffeine. These practices will have adverse effect on the developing fetus inside the womb. When a woman is pregnant, relatives will advise her to eat foods that have fats so that she will birth a healthy baby. With the health, it is also essential to focus on the development of the baby’s brain. How the baby’s brain would develop depends extremely on the food consumed by the mother during the prenatal stage. A proper nutrition at this time will help the brain cells to function at an optimal level.
To ensure your baby’s growth both mentally and physically, the nutritionist will provide a long list of nutrients for your pregnancy. Since there are lots of organs in a human body, the food you eat must cater to each of them sufficiently. Here are the lists of the pregnancy nutrients you will need for your baby.
- Vitamin A and Beta Carotene (770 mg) are necessary to aid in the growth of baby’s bones and teeth. For this, you need to eat green vegetables such as spinach, and broccoli. Potatoes and carrots are also recommended. You must drink milk and eat eggs, as they are rich in nutrients.
- Calcium is needed for a sturdy and healthy bone. The best source of calcium is Vitamin D (5 mcg). To provide required amount of calcium to your baby, you must eat fatty fish and drink milk. You can also take sunshine regularly. Vitamin D stimulates the brain cells in your baby and help in its development.
- Vitamin E (15 mg) helps in formation of red blood cells and muscles. You can find it in nuts, spinach, vegetable oil and fortified cereals.
- Vitamin C (80 – 85 mg) is necessary for preventing oxygen from mixing with other substances and damaging the body tissues. It also helps in building healthy immune systems and absorbing iron in the body. You will find this source in green beans, tomatoes, papaya, potatoes and broccoli.
- If you want your baby to have a healthy skin and good eyesight, you have to eat meats, fish and dairy products, as they will provide you with B1 vitamin to maintain appetite and growth.
- You also have to care for the nervous and digestive system of your baby. You can get help from high-protein foods, milk, eggs, cereals and breads. These are all sources of B2 vitamin.
- The body needs oxygen, which is delivered by red blood cells. For formation of red blood cells in the body, you need to eat sea and poultry foods. Vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, spinach and peas along with carrots, oats and brown rice are necessary to provide vitamin B6.
- Folic Acid (600 mcg) is necessary to prevent spina bifida, and to ensure that the baby is receiving blood supply. Intake of green leafy vegetables, cauliflower, beets, and broccoli can provide folic acid. You can also have oranges, strawberries, peas, pasta, nuts and orange juice.
- To prevent from anemia and helps in the formation of hemoglobin, you need iron (27 mg). To intake iron, you should eat pork, beef, oatmeal, and dried fruits.
- Amino acids help in repairing damaged cells. To produce it, you should eat dairy and poultry products, beans, nuts and vegetable burgers. Further, the baby’s body should also produce insulin and enzymes. For this, you must have Zinc (11 – 12 mg). Foods rich in Zinc are red meats, dairy products, oysters, whole grains and fortified cereals.
These pregnancy nutrients list will depend on your physical and medical conditions. Therefore, it is necessary to consult a nutritionist and get the required vitamins and minerals prescribed by him/her.